• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Why wasnt "Tough Crowd" bigger/more popular?

Queefer Sutherland

Fix me, Josh!
Forum Clout
And while South Park and Chapelle Show had the defence that they were sketch shows, Tough Crowd featured real people ostensibly telling their real opinions in heated arguments with eachother. It doesn't surprise me that it made the suits a bit nervous, especially if the ratings weren't spectacular enough for the bean counter logic that determines what politically incorrect content was worth the effort to air. Two seasons and they ended it.

A lot of them were rehearsed bits they used on stage at the time. Especially Worm, Vos and Dip.

LingerLonger

Still spreading the O&A virus
Forum Clout
WWAWD Greg Giraldo destroying Leary?
"Destroying" ? You sound like those faggots that make "Ben Shapiro DESTROYS feminist author!!!" Youtube videos. More proof that Tough Crowd was for pretentious sniveling political douches who needed "my right wing jew worshiper owned your left wing jew worshiper" moments of goyim mind programming on your talmudvision.

O&A is mostly timeless because they barely wasted time having political debates. It was just them laughing over some of the funniest moments in our lifetimes. Like Kramer's nigger meltdown. Mel Gibson's tapes. Imus getting fired. Roasting each other. Imagine how irrelevant and outdated O&A would be if they had done the Tough Crowd format.

Mick_Mickerson

Which way?! Medium or well done?
Forum Clout
"Destroying" ? You sound like those faggots that make "Ben Shapiro DESTROYS feminist author!!!" Youtube videos. More proof that Tough Crowd was for pretentious sniveling political douches who needed "my right wing jew worshiper owned your left wing jew worshiper" moments of goyim mind programming on your talmudvision.

O&A is mostly timeless because they barely wasted time having political debates. It was just them laughing over some of the funniest moments in our lifetimes. Like Kramer's nigger meltdown. Mel Gibson's tapes. Imus getting fired. Roasting each other. Imagine how irrelevant and outdated O&A would be if they had done the Tough Crowd format.
You think Leary came out of that exchange sounding educated and correct?

LingerLonger

Forum Clout
You think Leary came out of that exchange sounding educated and correct?
I'm just saying that the level of political discourse between all of those comics on O&A amounted to nothing. It might as well have been Bobo arguing against Lady Di for the impact that it had on anyone. Political comics are the lowest of the low. If you are into Carlin and Hicks and that kind of "humor" then Tough Crowd is probably right for you.

But I would rather listen to O&A rant about misheard lyrics, Jocktober other shows, goof on their old tapes, and so on.

HR@PaneraBread

Pretty soon we won't even need to come to work
Forum Clout
Not the answer, just a thought.

If you think about how opaque and unbelievable the number coming outta Sirius XM and radio in general were, it makes a bit of sense. O&A were never drawing the numbers they said they were so when you transplant that audience into Nielsen TV ratings which employs far more measurable figures, it stops being tenable, especially when you consider that demographic isn't the most valuable.

THE D

SUFFERING FROM DMANIA, PRONE TO DMANIC EPISODES
Forum Clout
Imagine how irrelevant and outdated O&A would be if they had done the Tough Crowd format.

WHY DON'T THEY RELEASE TOUGH CROWD ON DVD? Gee, because it would be a 50-disc set of mostly unknown comedians arguing about headlines from decades ago that most people have forgotten, or are too young to ever have known about?

It would do great On Demand if someone cherrypicked moments, but that ain't happening.

CutesyMissy

"... radio's most notorious shock jock."
Forum Clout
I'm just saying that the level of political discourse between all of those comics on O&A amounted to nothing. It might as well have been Bobo arguing against Lady Di for the impact that it had on anyone. Political comics are the lowest of the low. If you are into Carlin and Hicks and that kind of "humor" then Tough Crowd is probably right for you.

But I would rather listen to O&A rant about misheard lyrics, Jocktober other shows, goof on their old tapes, and so on.
Nigger, please.

A hack being called a hack on cable TV has nothing to do with politics.

Although I agree with you on the political comedian part... cough... Steven Crouder... cough cough... Anthony Cumia... cough, cough, cough... Bill Maher...

Nick Dipaolo and Dennis Miller are some of the funniest people alive (soon to be dead), but the as seriousness with which they approached politics ramped up, their funniness slowed down.

LingerLonger

Forum Clout
WHY DON'T THEY RELEASE TOUGH CROWD ON DVD?
I think it was DeRosa at the Vos roast who said "Any Tough Crowd fans here? The complete half season is coming out on DVD soon".
Nick Dipaolo and Dennis Miller are some of the funniest people alive (soon to be dead), but the as seriousness with which they approached politics ramped up, their funniness slowed down.
Hicks and Carlin were funny as well. But none of their political humor, which was 90% of their acts in their last decade, has held up well. Ranting like a fag about American politics, or who gives more money to jews, is beyond pathetic.

CutesyMissy

"... radio's most notorious shock jock."
Forum Clout
I think it was DeRosa at the Vos roast who said "Any Tough Crowd fans here? The complete half season is coming out on DVD soon".

Hicks and Carlin were funny as well. But none of their political humor, which was 90% of their acts in their last decade, has held up well. Ranting like a fag about American politics, or who gives more money to jews, is beyond pathetic.
100%

I consider Occupation Foole, Class Clown and On the Road as Carlin's best albums.

Youtube liberals have taken his 90's act as a topical bible, but his silly 70's albums have aged suprisingly well.

Dusty Dan

Forum Clout
I tried watching Tough Crowd when I hadn't been listening to O&A for long and didn't know most of the people on it.

What I saw was a decent host with bunch of mediocre comics that I had never heard of and nobody cares about, all trying desperately to get out one trite political point without being steamrolled by the obnoxious fat black guy.

Now that I know who everyone is I like it, but coming in without that knowledge it was just annoying. I don't think Colin was happy with it from how he talks about it and it's obvious he regrets letting his lazy friends work on it.

FingerofGod

Forum Clout

I agree but that moment wasn’t really about politics to me, if anything it signified the death of “rockstar” comics. Leary came on the show in a leather jacket trying to look cool and got completely emasculated by a dork who went to Harvard. I’m not the biggest fan of Giraldo’s standup but he worked very hard on jokes for Tough Crowd and he absolutely carried all of the roasts he was on. Way better than a guy who steals from Hicks, possibly the most overrated comic in history.