• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Why wasnt "Tough Crowd" bigger/more popular?

BonnieMcFarlaneMe2

i wish my rapist would call me back 😍
Forum Clout
I wouldn't really frame it in terms of "competition", but rather the issues the shows addressed. Daily Show and Maher were indeed closer in format to Tough Crowd, but they were a lot more politically correct in tone and subject matter. Many of their favorite targets were safe ones: Republicans, white trash, Christian fundamentalists, etc. You wouldn't see them openly poke fun at blacks or gays or anything other that's controversial, which is the kind of stuff South Park, Chapelle Show and Tough Crowd would do, which is why I'd place them firmly in the "edgy" category.

And while South Park and Chapelle Show had the defence that they were sketch shows, Tough Crowd featured real people ostensibly telling their real opinions in heated arguments with eachother. It doesn't surprise me that it made the suits a bit nervous, especially if the ratings weren't spectacular enough for the bean counter logic that determines what politically incorrect content was worth the effort to air. Two seasons and they ended it.

THE D

SUFFERING FROM DMANIA, PRONE TO DMANIC EPISODES
Forum Clout
It should have been competing with Bill Maher's "Politically Incorrect"...and on NBC or CBS

It was originally aired live on NBC in March 2002, using the Saturday Night Live stage. It honestly wasn't very good on NBC. It only got picked up by Comedy Central because Lorne Michaels produced it.

The opening monologues were usually fantastic. The talking segments were hit or miss, usually the highlights were weird moments where people got into arguments. The skits and sketches were pretty decent. It was like O&A TV without O&A.

The DMAN used to watch it all the time. It fit in with shows like Crank Yankers but not at all with The Daily Show... Comedy Central probably liked the gay little niche of left leaning audiences they were carving out and didn't want to "confuse" the viewers.

At the end of the day Tough Crowd got Jerry Seinfeld on Comedy Central. The DMAN never saw Jon Stewart getting Seinfeld on their network.

Smeckler's Powder

Sweet powder eases the pain
Forum Clout
It was originally aired live on NBC in March 2002, using the Saturday Night Live stage. It honestly wasn't very good on NBC. It only got picked up by Comedy Central because Lorne Michaels produced it.

The opening monologues were usually fantastic. The talking segments were hit or miss, usually the highlights were weird moments where people got into arguments. The skits and sketches were pretty decent. It was like O&A TV without O&A.

The DMAN used to watch it all the time. It fit in with shows like Crank Yankers but not at all with The Daily Show... Comedy Central probably liked the gay little niche of left leaning audiences they were carving out and didn't want to "confuse" the viewers.

At the end of the day Tough Crowd got Jerry Seinfeld on Comedy Central. The DMAN never saw Jon Stewart getting Seinfeld on their network.

have always been curious about the NBC version

WigwardFromSouthHampton

The Fugitive
Forum Clout
Tough crowd failed because it was boring. A bunch of mooks sitting around talking, the daily show had funny clips to react to and see john Stewart staring back with his deer light expression, or south park putting an animated twist on the current topic to keep you entertained. Now that is funny.
Screw you. Legitimately. Just screw you.

chocolatehellhole

You are not creative, nor destructive. I am both.
Forum Clout
Stick to making photoshops babyboy...arent you supposed to go to your wagey shit job? Nice browsing forums before clocking in, stupid. Post your house...
boqleakyhouse.jpg

Nice underwater kitchen, stupid.

ISO__JOE

Forum Clout
Fawkkkkk this was puka shell era Opie* so he had the blond surfer Adonis look that was popular at the time, too. Forget being a model, should've been a fawkin' tv host

* I just tried to find a picture with the Opester rocking the 🐚 necklace and couldn't find it. Is this one of those random things in everyone's consciousness but didn't actually happen?

IMG-9900.jpg

I could just see him ripping pages out of Judy Gold’s book while she was talking and bombing.

“Whatever, good luck to ya there Judy Gold.”