• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Why wasnt "Tough Crowd" bigger/more popular?

Chive Turkey

Erock Army Deserter
Forum Clout
It was alluded on the show itself and later on O&A that the execs really didn't care for it. They didn't like the format or the subjects, especially the racial stuff (which, admittedly, was featured a lot), and didn't advertise Tough Crowd much.

Around the same time South Park and Chapelle Show were massive CC properties so that explains why Norton later was always so mad at the fact that cartoons and coloreds were given more leeway than white comics speaking candidly about controversial issues

That's a factor, but it shouldn't be understated just how insanely popular those other two shows were. Management is willing to overlook a lot of shit if the numbahs are good, and Tough Crowd probably didn't pull in massive audiences like they did. Add the fact that it's a lot more real and mean-spirited (more complaints from viewers), and there's an explanation for the snubbing from a cold, corporate point of view.

Last edited:
G

It was alluded on the show itself and later on O&A that the execs really didn't care for it. They didn't like the format or the subjects, especially the racial stuff (which, admittedly, was featured a lot), and didn't advertise Tough Crowd much.

Around the same time South Park and Chapelle Show were massive CC properties so that explains why Norton later was always so mad at the fact that cartoons and coloreds were given more leeway than white comics speaking candidly about controversial issues

That's a factor, but it shouldn't be understated just how insanely popular those other two shows were. Management is willing to overlook a lot of shit if the numbahs are good, and Tough Crowd probably didn't pull in massive audiences like they did. Add the fact that it's a lot more real and mean-spirited (more complaints from viewers), and there's an explanation for the snubbing from a cold, corporate point of view.
Wouldnt Jon Stewart's "Daily Show", or Bill Maher's "Politically Incorrect" more an apt competitor than South Park or Chapelle?

FingerofGod

Forum Clout
Much more right leaning than other similar shows and it was kind of a mess in general. Most of the dummies he gave opportunities to like the worm and Keith were lazy and either wrote terrible jokes or copied CQ’s political opinions. And even though I still love Patrice he talked way too much and made it his show whenever he opened his mouth which was probably bizarre to the average viewer at the time. A lot of the show is just a bunch of comics screaming over each other. Also compared to the Daily Show it was less preachy and serious which for us is a good thing but that show was very popular for a long time so obviously people who are into “political comedy” like to also have their opinions validated.

Chive Turkey

Erock Army Deserter
Forum Clout
Wouldnt Jon Stewart's "Daily Show", or Bill Maher's "Politically Incorrect" more an apt competitor than South Park or Chapelle?
I wouldn't really frame it in terms of "competition", but rather the issues the shows addressed. Daily Show and Maher were indeed closer in format to Tough Crowd, but they were a lot more politically correct in tone and subject matter. Many of their favorite targets were safe ones: Republicans, white trash, Christian fundamentalists, etc. You wouldn't see them openly poke fun at blacks or gays or anything other that's controversial, which is the kind of stuff South Park, Chapelle Show and Tough Crowd would do, which is why I'd place them firmly in the "edgy" category.

And while South Park and Chapelle Show had the defence that they were sketch shows, Tough Crowd featured real people ostensibly telling their real opinions in heated arguments with eachother. It doesn't surprise me that it made the suits a bit nervous, especially if the ratings weren't spectacular enough for the bean counter logic that determines what politically incorrect content was worth the effort to air. Two seasons and they ended it.

Smeckler's Powder

Sweet powder eases the pain
Forum Clout
Much more right leaning than other similar shows and it was kind of a mess in general. Most of the dummies he gave opportunities to like the worm and Keith were lazy and either wrote terrible jokes or copied CQ’s political opinions. And even though I still love Patrice he talked way too much and made it his show whenever he opened his mouth which was probably bizarre to the average viewer at the time. A lot of the show is just a bunch of comics screaming over each other. Also compared to the Daily Show it was less preachy and serious which for us is a good thing but that show was very popular for a long time so obviously people who are into “political comedy” like to also have their opinions validated.

When I met Patrice I wasn't nearly as excited as I should have been due to viewing him as the obnoxious giant black guy from Tough Crowd(Greg Giraldos description of him from the Patrice roast). Now I'd kill a family member to hang with him for 5 minutes.

alkiefuck2

don't call me scarface
Forum Clout
1, "The show aired weeknights at 11:30 p.m."
Lotta problems with that timeslot, lotta fuckin' problems

2. Enough with the Judy Gold, "I'm a cunt-licking jew", well done, Vos fit the quota and was actually funny

3. The show was probably too cynical in terms of early 00's media. Aside from South Park, I don't really know many shows that criticized modern society maaaannn. (born in 93 so I could be talking shite)

4. Could just be gay politics

G

Didn't Chappelle end his show because he caught his (((white))) producer laughing too hard at his jokes or something?
That's the agreed-upon lore. I dont believe it at all. Kevin Brennan's brother and other White guys were writing his funniest material anyway. Im sure the Africa sojourn was a cope cuz of that...He has ZERO bonds to Africa and never brings it up, sentimentally or otherwise.

Single Action Army

We ain't goon hooligans we Maloonigans
Forum Clout
That's the agreed-upon lore. I dont believe it at all. Kevin Brennan's brother and other White guys were writing his funniest material anyway. Im sure the Africa sojourn was a cope cuz of that...He has ZERO bonds to Africa and never brings it up, sentimentally or otherwise.

He probably went thinking his brothas would ingratiate him and then hit the inevitable culture roadblock of every American going to their "home" country. Most Africans despise African-Americans from what I've heard.
That and you aren't sustaining your rich bitch lifestyle in a village that makes $12 a year.

Chive Turkey

Erock Army Deserter
Forum Clout
Most Africans despise African-Americans from what I've heard.
They used to worship Basketball Americans but there's been enough cross pollination over the last couple of decades for the Africans to have formed a more cynical opinion on them. Memes and stereotypes aside, the average person from a place like Nigeria is quite likely to be hardworking, community-oriented and conservative. A lot of aspects of black American culture are going to be completely antithetical to an African looking to elevate himself and his country.

The feeling is mutual, a lot of black Americans seem to look down on Africans and have become LBJsters in their own right, declaring their superiority over the other negroes because they were lucky enough to be born in the US, while simultaneously lamenting how bad they have it in America.

Cuphead

Formerly know as Fat Abbot
Forum Clout
The execs at CC didn't like the show as they felt it competed too much with the audience of the Daily Show plus it tended to lean a lot more right than left which they didn't like either. Also, while the round table discussions were hilarious, the sketches were pretty terrible.