• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

WWAWD Sam Kinison?

Imager

STFUYSN
Forum Clout
Kinison's stand up on Rodney Dangerfield's HBO show still holds up. even though it uses references that are 40 years old. It speaks a lot that Rodney Dangerfield, the best comic ever, loved him.
You really think Dangerfield is the best comic ever?

I'm not going to say he was bad at all...but not sure he's best comic ever either.

wbgreen

May St. Mel bless you
Forum Clout
You really think Dangerfield is the best comic ever?

I'm not going to say he was bad at all...but not sure he's best comic ever either.

Yes indeed, I certainly do. I'd say the best stand up are quick jokes, and there are not many comics that can do that. Dangerfield, Stephen Wright, Mitch Hedberg and a small number of others. Norm did that a little. It's way harder to do than rants, which is why it's a rare.

Also Rodney's humor is still relevant, can still get laughs. It's aged remarkably well, where as most stand up becomes more forgettable as the years go by.

LingerLonger

Still spreading the O&A virus
Forum Clout
Isnt all of stand up comedy just the art of jewish shit talking?
When it comes to political hack jokes and topical standup for sure. But guys like Anthony Jeselnik that just do dark humor one liners are literally just trying to tell a bunch of jokes and get people to laugh. And Jeselnik is a huge liberal fag in real life but he still doesn't resort to political humor. So it is possible to do standup and actually tell jokes.

Imager

STFUYSN
Forum Clout
Yes indeed, I certainly do. I'd say the best stand up are quick jokes, and there are not many comics that can do that. Dangerfield, Stephen Wright, Mitch Hedberg and a small number of others. Norm did that a little. It's way harder to do than rants, which is why it's a rare.

Also Rodney's humor is still relevant, can still get laughs. It's aged remarkably well, where as most stand up becomes more forgettable as the years go by.
My personal favorites include Jimmy Carr and Emo Philips, who also fall into the category. Jimmy Carr in particular is lightning fast even just being interviewed.

Forum Clout
Back in the early K-Rock days, Kinison did the Stern show pretty regularly, and he was always clearly gakked out of his mind. There was one incident where Kinison was supposed to be bringing Bon Jovi into the studio, but he blew Howard off, which prompted an explosive Stern rant, at which point Howard endorsed Dice, Sam's mortal enemy, which led to an epic on-air argument. Man, that guy used to be a hell of a lot of blow, even by late 80s standards.

Forum Clout
Rodney didn't do topical humor. He wasn't making jokes about Carter or Reagan or the Iran-Contra scandal, he was doing gags about his mother-in-law, how shitty his wife was, how bad he was in the sack, how much his parents hated him and etc. He wasn't trying to be an artist, he was more of a master craftsman who knew exactly how to make people laugh, but didn't need to spend all day getting all angsty about it.

PickleRickle

You are not a glowie. You are just stupid.
Forum Clout
Back in the early K-Rock days, Kinison did the Stern show pretty regularly, and he was always clearly gakked out of his mind. There was one incident where Kinison was supposed to be bringing Bon Jovi into the studio, but he blew Howard off, which prompted an explosive Stern rant, at which point Howard endorsed Dice, Sam's mortal enemy, which led to an epic on-air argument. Man, that guy used to be a hell of a lot of blow, even by late 80s standards.
This all sounds very gay. Dont get me wrong, its a good story, i've seen the pieced together clips, I was entertained, but seeing it typed out...yeeesh.

DanFielding

Forum Clout
The best part of that was the next day when Gilbert was in studio and they replayed the fight while counting the number of times Howard and Sam used the words "man" and "dude". I forget the exact number but it was well over 100.

Forum Clout
This all sounds very gay. Dont get me wrong, its a good story, i've seen the pieced together clips, I was entertained, but seeing it typed out...yeeesh.
Oh, no argument here. The Dude Man fight was extraordinarily gay, but first thing in the morning, standards are lower. Kinison and Bon Jovi were clearly out doing blow all night, but no one could just come right out and say it.

PogromStallone

Give Me Some Money
Forum Clout

I love Demetri Martin but I don't think he's the type most here would like.

Imager

STFUYSN
Forum Clout
I love Demetri Martin but I don't think he's the type most here would like.

I like him a lot too, but his crowd is hipster and for some reason that affects his recognition and the quality of his jokes.

He did a skit on his show on Comedy Central where two people show up for job interview a few minutes apart. Both are interviewees and the receptionist makes a mistake and sits them both in the same room and they both think they are talking to the interviewer. It was pretty clever.

He also wrote a MASSIVE palindrome in his book. Not sure if it was funny, but autistic credit is due.

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
Forum Clout
Rodney didn't do topical humor. He wasn't making jokes about Carter or Reagan or the Iran-Contra scandal, he was doing gags about his mother-in-law, how shitty his wife was, how bad he was in the sack, how much his parents hated him and etc. He wasn't trying to be an artist, he was more of a master craftsman who knew exactly how to make people laugh, but didn't need to spend all day getting all angsty about it.
This is true, he didn’t get pretentious at all which is rare for comedians now. From what I’ve read / heard stories is he was pretty bitter because he didn’t take off until later. He once told norm “stand up is shit”

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
Forum Clout
The best part of that was the next day when Gilbert was in studio and they replayed the fight while counting the number of times Howard and Sam used the words "man" and "dude". I forget the exact number but it was well over 100.
Gilbert doesn’t get the credit he deserves for his impressions. I remember he did a “here’s Jackie talking to Sam Kinison” bit that cracked me up. “Hey Man! Aaaaah Hey Man! - I’m not getting paid enough - me neither!”

Forum Clout
This is true, he didn’t get pretentious at all which is rare for comedians now. From what I’ve read / heard stories is he was pretty bitter because he didn’t take off until later. He once told norm “stand up is shit”
Oh yeah, his personal life was a total fiasco, but he didn't drag it into his act. You could always count on Rodney to be funny, and that's it.