• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

In defense of Howard Stern...

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
Forum Clout
I think the higher ups are getting the point. They’re paying him 9 fucking figures to broadcast on their platform. When Howie went to Sirius no doubt it brought subscribers. When the platforms merged it brought a new audience and people who would have otherwise cancelled now staying for the big star. And it can be argued that at least for 5-7 years Howards presence on the platform attracted new subscribers.

Now though? Who is a new subscriber specifically for Howard? SXM is hiring and promoting already made names like Kevin Hart and Andy Cohen at, no doubt, much lower salaries than Howard. These are people with ingrained fanbases who would subscribe to SXM just for them. Then you have to ask yourself, how many people would unsubscribe from SXM if Howard got canned? They’re gonna miss the celebrity interviews? The incomplete and cherry picked archive? We all saw SXM lay off like 50k people due to cost cuts and their stock is in the fucking toilet. It’s going to get to the point where they simply can’t pay him anymore or they will pay him less and he will leave because of it.
That’s what I think, they realize the last contract they offered him was for WAY too much as people in 2023 aren’t getting Sirius for Stern. I can’t even remember the last time Stern even did any press for his Sirius show (maybe when Letterman was still on? Prob a Kimmel appearance) but that dedicated fan base he had back in the 90s is long gone.

I had Sirius for him but as the years went on it just wasn’t worth it - he’s barely on, he only interviews the same 15 people over and over again, he just complained all day, phone calls were all just kissing his ass, wack pack slowly disappeared, became really heavy on gay cock talk, and he just sounds bored. You can’t even listen to his “classic archive” channel because it’s so scrubbed of anything good and is pretty much the same 50 clips played over and over.

My dad got Sirius about a year ago and asked me what channel stern was on, once he realized he had to pay EXTRA for him he said “oh forget it” which I’m pretty sure is the majority of Sirius subscribers. Pay extra to hear a guy who takes tons of time off and when he’s there only does 3 days a week? Only bigger waste of money was when they gave Eminem a contract for his Shade 45 channel and he never even came in the studio.

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
Forum Clout
Gilbert kept referring to Obama as a 'nigger' or other racist terms because he knew it would piss off Howard. Most of those if not all were dumped. One time during a news segment Robin said something like "the fight was started when one man called the other....the n-word". And Gilbert said something like "....we have one of those in the White House".

They've dumped out on Sirius to avoid slander lawsuits and other stuff as well or giving out personal information. Like O&A failing to dump Erock's phone out for example. Or listeners using real names and getting dumped (though sometimes the replays would still have the original call).

Who is edgy anymore that is even close to mainstream?
I think the appearance where they dumped out on Gilbert was related to Bindi Irwin and he was doing his Dice impression. She was underage at the time and Gilbert was doing dice nursery rhymes about having sex with her. I remember they once dumped Artie out because they were talking about Tom Cruise and he made some joke about Cruise being gay. Howard dumped and told him later “He’s the type to sue”

I think you can’t even be “edgy” anymore and be mainstream. Everyone is afraid of going too far and being cancelled so just stick to safe targets which is down to white republicans. Even then they go to far sometimes and say something homophobic and forget that’s not allowed anymore even if it’s aimed at a Republican.

Sue Lightning

<-- Never heard of Spankbang
Forum Clout
I had Sirius for him but as the years went on it just wasn’t worth it - he’s barely on, he only interviews the same 15 people over and over again, he just complained all day, phone calls were all just kissing his ass, wack pack slowly disappeared, became really heavy on gay cock talk, and he just sounds bored. You can’t even listen to his “classic archive” channel because it’s so scrubbed of anything good and is pretty much the same 50 clips played over and over.
This is the thing. If Sirius offered an on demand, uncensored archive of EVERY Stern show, even if you had to pay for it, people would listen. People would fucking pay for Old Stern but they would NEVER pay just for new Stern.
My dad got Sirius about a year ago and asked me what channel stern was on, once he realized he had to pay EXTRA for him he said “oh forget it” which I’m pretty sure is the majority of Sirius subscribers.
What the fuck? I thought that was just the initial thing when the companies merged. Who in the FUCK would ever pay extra, on top of their monthly subscription, to listen to a washed up jew?
Pay extra to hear a guy who takes tons of time off and when he’s there only does 3 days a week?
This is probably the most egregious thing from the companies perspective. They’re paying this guy once again, hundreds of millions of dollars in a salary. He does 3 shows a week, takes months off for vacations, and oh yeah, he doesn’t even use the fucking studio they made for him because he’s going Howard Hughes about Covid. Add whatever they’re paying Howard on top of what they’re paying the producers and behind the scenes guys, upkeep of the studio, the cost to SHUT THE ENTIRE BUILDING DOWN when Howie does come in, and little to no subscriber growth specifically for Howard and it is a fucking net negative to keep him there.
Only bigger waste of money was when they gave Eminem a contract for his Shade 45 channel and he never even came in the studio.
Even this is different. Eminem never came in studio but retards would STILL subscribe because Eminem has a massive die hard fanbase that will buy his shit even if he doesn’t show. They could also somehow justify it that “Well he may not be in studio but the songs they’re playing / the station itself has Ems seal of approval so I like this!” And no fucking doubt whatever they paid Eminem when he was at his biggest was 5x less then what they’re paying Howard now at his lowest .

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
Forum Clout
While no one could fault Bugle Beak for taking that enormous pile of satellite radio money, the time to ditch his tired old radio show format has come and gone, and he missed the boat. He could have been a pioneering podcaster, like Maron or Rogan, but he took the safe, familiar route instead. And now he's doing a lifeless show, on a dead format, with the same sad cast of flunkies like Robin, Fred and Booey.
He’s been so against podcasting for years and I bet Sirius is pissed they listed to him and his “podcasting will never take off, you gotta be able to ready like me!” opinion. They def missed out on getting some big podcasters on Sirius

BonnieMcFarlaneMe2

i wish my rapist would call me back 😍
Forum Clout
(Gilbert Gottfried being a major example, he was told by Gary they “don’t put comedians on the show anymore” yet have Chelsea Handler and Amy Schumer on often) and he just went along with it.
That led to a pretty great Gilbert and Artie bit when they started saying them two weren’t comics anyways.

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
Forum Clout
This is the thing. If Sirius offered an on demand, uncensored archive of EVERY Stern show, even if you had to pay for it, people would listen. People would fucking pay for Old Stern but they would NEVER pay just for new Stern.

What the fuck? I thought that was just the initial thing when the companies merged. Who in the FUCK would ever pay extra, on top of their monthly subscription, to listen to a washed up jew?

This is probably the most egregious thing from the companies perspective. They’re paying this guy once again, hundreds of millions of dollars in a salary. He does 3 shows a week, takes months off for vacations, and oh yeah, he doesn’t even use the fucking studio they made for him because he’s going Howard Hughes about Covid. Add whatever they’re paying Howard on top of what they’re paying the producers and behind the scenes guys, upkeep of the studio, the cost to SHUT THE ENTIRE BUILDING DOWN when Howie does come in, and little to no subscriber growth specifically for Howard and it is a fucking net negative to keep him there.

Even this is different. Eminem never came in studio but retards would STILL subscribe because Eminem has a massive die hard fanbase that will buy his shit even if he doesn’t show. They could also somehow justify it that “Well he may not be in studio but the songs they’re playing / the station itself has Ems seal of approval so I like this!” And no fucking doubt whatever they paid Eminem when he was at his biggest was 5x less then what they’re paying Howard now at his lowest .
Plus that studio was renovated / upgraded multiple times and fitted for cameras / lighting for filming his show and he doesn’t even show up. I know he came in for that Springsteen interview because I bet Bruce said “im not getting up that early to come into NYC and perform to a zoom screen for a host sitting comfortable at home.” and they had been trying to get him to do the show for decades.

I agree with the Eminem channel, he would get fans subscribe to listen even if he’s not on, same with other big names who have followings (Oprah, Kevin Hart, etc) but Stern? I’m convinced his target audience is middle aged women who think listening to stern makes them “cool” since he curses but majority talks women shit, liberal outrage, the bachelor, chick flicks, and complaining all day.

Sirius knows how many subscribers he has since you have to pay extra for him but he won’t say the number because he wants people (and his own ego) to believe he’s responsible for every subscriber.

RoTheHo69

if you ban me, you are gay.
Forum Clout
After George Carlin died, a bunch of comedians were invited to Caroline's to pay tribute to him, and name some street in NYC after him. Gilbert went on stage and did his set but it was not a tribute. He did fifteen straight minutes on how he was glad that Carlin died and glad that he suffered and was in deep pain and distress for several years. And Gilbert said that Carlin's miserable agonizing death was more pleasant than the birth of his own son. Carlin's daughter cried and keeps removing the set from the internet.
lmao gilbert fuckin rules.

THE D

SUFFERING FROM DMANIA, PRONE TO DMANIC EPISODES
Forum Clout
If there’s no medium there can be no talent and vise versa.

Sometimes a talent has to take an old medium and repurpose it.

If you cut podcasts out of the equation, where exactly could a shock jock work?

It's not necessarily podcasting that I would cut out of the equation, it's need to be live that I am emphasizing. And podcasts are by definition an on demand, canned, pre-recorded medium. Useful for catching all the people who didn't hear your show when it was fresh and live. Not as useful for building hype.

We all know broadcasting is a business and most people who enter a business want success and then fame.

Some are willing to spend and lose money on their vanity projects so that they can play the role. I said it before, all you need is 1 loaded rich MAGA tard who convinces himself he wants his own 24 hour anti-woke network. Sound like anyone? Hoholeeshit. (It's happening right now in New York/South Carolina depending on who you ask. Just because it's not funny doesn't negate my point.)

You're also not factoring in what may happen in the coming months and years. We don't know where social media is going. TikTok has already done a number on enough younger people to the point where they are unpredictable. Acceptance of LGBT nonsense had dropped something like 20% among Gen Z and that was in 2019.

The trend soon becomes the target. When things fall out of fashion, they're mocked... until enough time passes, and then: What's old is new again.

You don’t get either by doing a show emulating 90’s shocking humor dropping Niggers, getting strippers in studio, whatever. You would basically have to recreate the conditions of O&A with some added factors: Take two retards who give fuck all about being celebrities and want to put on an entertaining show. Now make them want to recreate a format that’s been dead for 20 years, shocking radio. Now make them want to recreate a format thats been dead for 10 years, a live radio show with callers. Me and Dan Mullen are the only people who would be retarded enough to try this.

Now i think you're getting a little obtuse. I never said to emulate... That's destined to fail. Any good product would have to be simple and straightforward, not a contrived recreation that has to follow a code. It's a genre in itself that was built on provoking people into reacting. That's literally all you gotta do, and the time to do that? Right now. People are begging to be offended. The market is ripe. You would NEVER have to pay for advertising. Donald Trump made himself president from this. People are looking for the enemy. It'll happen when he decides he has the balls to not worry about the boat rocking. When someone with balls PUTS THEMSELVES OUT THERE. :dice:

It's about the fear of one's own reputation. The quality that made Howard Stern a wonderful satirist was not his sense of humor... it is that he wasn't afraid of his name being mud. Now? He's a pussy. Everyone is a pussy raised by social media. It doesn't happen because the conditions have made it so that it "shouldn't" happen. Meanwhile... 20 years ago, random untalented faggots were begging to get attention for their carbon copy fake-edge.

They’re performers at the end of the day and want fame and money. You don’t get that by doing something genuinely original, you do that by starting another shitty podcast that everyone has or streaming on Youtube.

This comment I disagree with 100%. You're saying that throwing your hat into an already oversaturated market is going to payoff more than if you made a boutique or niche choice with your business. Having a specific (AND UNIQUE!!!) target is a bigger gamble that comes with a bigger prize.

I will say I agree with you and want something like this to happen, but the odds are just so slim.

I think the fact that you and I believing the odds are slim is exactly why it's more likely to happen.

Professional wrestling is a low rent, white trash form of entertainment, and like clockwork every 15 years it booms in popularity and makes 1 motherfucker usually named McMahon a billion dollars.... Because he dares to be the asshole.

We're just waiting for the arrival of OUR asshole....

Last edited:

Sue Lightning

<-- Never heard of Spankbang
Forum Clout
Sometimes a talent has to take an old medium and repurpose it.
Very true.
It's not necessarily podcasting that I would cut out of the equation, it's need to be live that I am emphasizing. And podcasts are by definition an on demand, canned, pre-recorded medium. Useful for catching all the people who didn't hear your show when it was fresh and live. Not as useful for building hype.
Once again true. The situation I would propose is doing it live then releasing said shows as podcasts. I only say this because podcasts truly are the medium right now. If anyone were trying to get famous in an audio based format they’d release it in a podcast format no matter how or when it was recorded. Because of the podcast saturation it does create the niche market we’re talking about: There is a demand for people to see a live show with live reactions to the news of the day where you could call in and shit because now NO shows are like this. It may not be popular anymore but it has a chance of succeeding for being different.
Some are willing to spend and lose money on their vanity projects so that they can play the role. I said it before, all you need is 1 loaded rich MAGA tard who convinces himself he wants his own 24 hour anti-woke network. Sound like anyone?
Side note, but this is what I figured Compound would be when it first started. LoS, Redbar, and even Gavin to an extent made you think “There will probably be politics to this but it’ll at least be funny”. That fantasy died not even a year into the network.

The trend soon becomes the target. When things fall out of fashion, they're mocked... until enough time passes, and then: What's old is new again.
Once again, very true. Like I said before, due to podcast saturation the “old” format of radio shows would be new and interesting today. Plus Gen Z faggots LOVE retro / nostalgic shit.
Now i think you're getting a little obtuse. I never said to emulate... That's destined to fail. Any good product would have to be simple and straightforward, not a contrived recreation that has to follow a code. It's a genre in itself that was built on provoking people into reacting. That's literally all you gotta do, and the time to do that? Right now. People are begging to be offended. The market is ripe. People are looking for the enemy. It'll happen when he decides he has the balls to not worry about the boat rocking. When someone with balls PUTS THEMSELVES OUT THERE. :dice:
I was being only half obtuse. Emulating the things I described like strippers in studio and blackface wouldn’t be a good way to get yourself success, but it would certainly get eyes on you. Like you said, people are hungry to be offended. This is sort of unrelated, but the key to it too is it has to be funny. The more “cancel culture wokeness” spreads, the funnier offensive humor will be and the more people will search for it due to its tabooness. Anthony is…unironically the prime candidate to emulate the shock jock we’re talking about. He’s done it before and has everything set up. The problem is he’s as dry as Egyptian pussy and he’s not trying to reinvent or even emulate the environment he worked in for 20 years. Well, he did get a video element. Anyway my point is is that there would even be a market for 90’s style shock jock radio, but because of the business / Hollywood culture we live in it would never be “successful.”
It's about the fear of one's own reputation. The quality that made Howard Stern a wonderful satirist is he wasn't afraid of his name being mud. Now? He's a pussy. Everyone is a pussy raised by social media. It doesn't happen because the conditions have made it so that it "shouldn't" happen. Meanwhile... 20 years ago, random untalented faggots were begging to get attention for their carbon copy fake-edge.
I think (?) I made this point about O&A earlier. Stern always had dreams of being a starfucker. O&A never gave a shit about that, even with Opie broadcasting since 18 you never got the vibe that either of them wanted to be bigger than their radio show. They didn’t give a fuck what was attached to their names. Going back to my point in the original post, there are no entertainers like that anymore. Even the people that try to be “anti woke” and offensive still give a fuck about their image and will stray from certain topics.
This comment I disagree with 100%. You're saying that throwing your hat into an already oversaturated market is going to payoff more than if you made a boutique or niche choice with your business. Having a specific (AND UNIQUE!!!) target is a bigger gamble that comes with a bigger prize.
Eh. What i’m saying is that entertainers / performers are like any other job but it’s also an art form. When you’re deciding how you want to make your art (humor), you also have to take into account the business aspects of it so you can continue to not starve to death. You can make a podcast like every other comedian has, and while the market is oversaturated, the method is tried and true and there is little risk. With trying something new…the risk is massive. There is no ingrained listeners and any potential listeners will be thrown off at hearing something new. The reason I make the comparison to art there is that I think about it the same as music. You want to be a musician: You can make boring shitty pop music like everyone else which is tried and true, but oversaturated, or you can take the risk, do your own thing, and the majority of the consuming market will be turned off simply because what they’re hearing is foreign.

However, you are right in that doing something unique WILL pay off if you hit your niche. I could point to countless bands that fit this example, and eventually, everybody follows behind the “trendsetter” because people are desperate to hear something new, even if they don’t consciously realize it.

THE D

SUFFERING FROM DMANIA, PRONE TO DMANIC EPISODES
Forum Clout
Once again true. The situation I would propose is doing it live then releasing said shows as podcasts. I only say this because podcasts truly are the medium right now. If anyone were trying to get famous in an audio based format they’d release it in a podcast format no matter how or when it was recorded.

Sure. It would be beneficial to have On Demand. Old episodes are the best commercial for the live show.

There is a demand for people to see a live show with live reactions to the news of the day where you could call in and shit because now NO shows are like this. It may not be popular anymore but it has a chance of succeeding for being different.

This is mostly my point. It is like counterprogramming. There is a large market not being served, in an industry where JOE ROGAN is the big earner... It's waiting for someone who capable of prioritizing funny over themselves and their image.

Once again, very true. Like I said before, due to podcast saturation the “old” format of radio shows would be new and interesting today. Plus Gen Z faggots LOVE retro / nostalgic shit.

Yep exactly. I would bet you money if the tapes didn't sound like shit, even the music they were playing is known very much at least by even the most retarded zoomer female. They know the same music a 60 year old knows and they're all trying to top each other by having the more random niche little gay universe with merch and trash they will BEG to buy. Hipsters love vinyl and AM/FM radios, they would love to tell people they listen to a radio show on FM... "You wouldn't get it"

I was being only half obtuse. Emulating the things I described like strippers in studio and blackface wouldn’t be a good way to get yourself success, but it would certainly get eyes on you.

Well, look. If you did those things to be funny, why not? You can't bring girls on, and interview them, and bore the world like O&A did. It would be funny if Tim Dillon paid 2 hot strippers and make them stand behind him the entire show... It all depends how you do the bit, there's an entire layer of irony over having hot women on an audio only show.

Anyway my point is is that there would even be a market for 90’s style shock jock radio, but because of the business / Hollywood culture we live in it would never be “successful.”

I think it would be successful. It's inevitable that "the business/culture we live in today" is not going to exist a year, 5 years, etc. from now. When was the last time someone asked you about being vaxxed? The world is different than it was even 6 months ago. We have no idea right now what would be successful, but I have a good track record with my meaningless predictions about how people react to things.

I think (?) I made this point about O&A earlier. Stern always had dreams of being a starfucker. O&A never gave a shit about that, even with Opie broadcasting since 18 you never got the vibe that either of them wanted to be bigger than their radio show. They didn’t give a fuck what was attached to their names. Going back to my point in the original post, there are no entertainers like that anymore. Even the people that try to be “anti woke” and offensive still give a fuck about their image and will stray from certain topics.

One of my favorite O&A moments I think about all the time is so small and pointless, but Patrice was talking about being starstruck and how he never really cares about celebrities. Playing it like cool guy, and he allows O&A the option to say yeah, me too. But Patrice mentions Michael Jackson and Opie straight up admits he would be nervous. Everyone acts like Opie is a delusional fame obsessed guy. He isn't obsessed with Howard or Rogan, he is simply shitting on them because Opie himself is a media man who analyzes the top dog in his industry.

With trying something new…the risk is massive. There is no ingrained listeners and any potential listeners will be thrown off at hearing something new. The reason I make the comparison to art there is that I think about it the same as music. You want to be a musician: You can make boring shitty pop music like everyone else which is tried and true, but oversaturated, or you can take the risk, do your own thing, and the majority of the consuming market will be turned off simply because what they’re hearing is foreign.

Every musician worth a shit who influenced generations of others was initially hated for their bizarre noises and behaviors. Then people copy them and start doing what you're describing. Okay, so if everyone should just copy, then what are they copying? You gotta cycle some of this fodder back into the mix. We only got so many numbers, names, activities, and sounds that we keep recycling in different orders and varieties. They had shock jocks in the 70's. Let's not act like you need to be on kiked NBC to be """"""""""successful""""""""""" Nobody watches SNL or any of it. On the internet (and to young people) everything is on the same level. It's either good or it sucks.

people are desperate to hear something new, even if they don’t consciously realize it.

Or they are desperate to hear something "old," that they have never heard before, because it hasn't been available during their lifetime...

WhereWeAt

Forum Clout
They've dumped out on Sirius to avoid slander lawsuits and other stuff as well or giving out personal information. Like O&A failing to dump Erock's phone out for example. Or listeners using real names and getting dumped (though sometimes the replays would still have the original call).

I distinctly remember Stanhope coming on and telling a story about doing coke at Governor's with Nick Lowery and Bubby Brister. The names were bleeped on the replay that day, but not on the weekend replays. Pretty cool, huh?

lowend73

Forum Clout
Wow

Just watched the full Pelican Brief "meeting".

It's not a surprise. Times change, and as you get older the stuff you found funny is not now.

But, he is fucking delusional. By going over everything, im just repeating what people articulated much better

What a goofy looking dude. That wig is atrocious, and pants pulled up to his bellybutton.

For being "The King of All Media'', he should have embraced the internet and social media. I remember listening as a kid/teen. I grew up in the DMV, so he was on DC 101. This was when. he did public appearances, and was really well received.

Ah well, I think the "shock jock" will make a return, but it willl be the opposite of what we grew up on.

Thought he was a cool dude, he's not.