• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Has Patrick ever actually specified what martial art he trained in/instructed?

Guyincognito

John D’oh!
Forum Clout
Exactly. Krav Maga's a bunch of self-defense lessons. And the classes felt like CrossFit WODs for beginners.
They're fine, but like you said, krav's focused on extremely specific situations: a guy comes at you with a gun, two guys come at you with knives and bats, someone hits you from behind while sitting at a bar, you're pinned on the ground on your back. And if that was the case, I'd use what I know from BJJ. It can be worth knowing some of the tactics, for sure, but if I were the type to get into fights often (like Pat), I'd use what I know from BJJ 99% of the time and krav less than 1%.

(took a break from BJJ during the COVID year; tried krav maga for a bit)
Just took a gander at a krav maga vid. The techniques I saw looked a lot like Filipino martial arts such as Escrima/kali or silat. They have some absolutely brutal moves that will get you thrown in prison if you used them in a bar fight and your life wasn’t threatened