• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Bill Burr starring in Glengarry Glen Ross on Broadway

PogromStallone

Give Me Some Money
Forum Clout
Is Burr even remotely good at acting? We should go there and do another "put your goddamn clothes back on" with Bill instead.
He's pretty good.
This is all so tiresome, Mamet's reduced to appearing on Rogan whining about how no one will back his work in Hollywood and now certified D-listers like Burr are 'starring' in his plays... not that Mamet's written anything worth shit in 25 years (Spanish Prisoner was the last decent thing he farted out).
He's one of the biggest comedians on the planet, he's well above D-lister.

PogromStallone

Give Me Some Money
Forum Clout
Big comedian yes - but he's not one of the biggest actors on the planet - he's still a D-list actor and this is stunt casting at its best - the whole point of which is to sell tickets (and they will sell).
D-list is among the ranks of lower tier reality show personalities. Burr has been in a shit ton of high profile stuff and had a recurring role on one of the biggest shows on the planet.

IanCurtis

Forum Clout
D-list is among the ranks of lower tier reality show personalities. Burr has been in a shit ton of high profile stuff and had a recurring role on one of the biggest shows on the planet.

Then why's he doing theatre instead of being in a big mainstream film earning $$? The theatre grind is pretty grueling, if you're at the top and in demand then when do you have time to do weeks (months) of theatre? How is it after appearing in all this high profile stuff the best the guys career can do is to get him in a revival production of GGGR? Sometimes actors will do this stuff because their career is in a funk and helps them to be seen in a different light. Maybe not D, maybe C list but he's certainly no A or B lister.

PogromStallone

Give Me Some Money
Forum Clout
Then why's he doing theatre instead of being in a big mainstream film earning $$? The theatre grind is pretty grueling, if you're at the top and in demand then when do you have time to do weeks (months) of theatre? How is it after appearing in all this high profile stuff the best the guys career can do is to get him in a revival production of GGGR? Sometimes actors will do this stuff because their career is in a funk and helps them to be seen in a different light. Maybe not D, maybe C list but he's certainly no A or B lister.
Is your question why is he starring in one of the most well known plays on Broadway, a place most actors dream to be on?

BonnieMcFarlaneMe2

i wish my rapist would call me back 😍
Forum Clout
Artie Lange is C-list, Tila Tequila is D-list, and Ant is less famous than any D1 football player. I’d put Bill at a solid B-list. He probably got a huge payday for this. I’d imagine the tickets are upwards of $10 to $15. Perhaps even more than that.

IanCurtis

Forum Clout
Is your question why is he starring in one of the most well known plays on Broadway, a place most actors dream to be on?

No, most actors who pursue careers in cinema don't automatically want to be on Broadway - theatre actors are generally a world apart from their cinema counterparts and many I suspect resent seeing people from LA being cast in roles they've dreamed of their entire lives (too bad, that's how the business works). Doing broadway is a career move that typically adds 'acting legitimacy' to a cinema actors career - but its a tough slog by comparison to film acting (there are people like Pacino who legit love the theatre and was a success at both but they're not common).

But Burr isn't what I'd call an 'actor' anyway - he's a comedian who does acting on the side regardless of what show he did a support role in.

BonnieMcFarlaneMe2

Forum Clout
No, most actors who pursue careers in cinema don't automatically want to be on Broadway - theatre actors are generally a world apart from their cinema counterparts and many I suspect resent seeing people from LA being cast in roles they've dreamed of their entire lives (too bad, that's how the business works). Doing broadway is a career move that typically adds 'acting legitimacy' to a cinema actors career - but its a tough slog by comparison to film acting (there are people like Pacino who legit love the theatre and was a success at both but they're not common).

But Burr isn't what I'd call an 'actor' anyway - he's a comedian who does acting on the side regardless of what show he did a support role in.
Here’s an actor that was able to seamlessly switch over to also being a great comedian:

PogromStallone

Give Me Some Money
Forum Clout
Doing broadway is a career move that typically adds 'acting legitimacy' to a cinema actors career
So then why are you acting like it's on the same level of Celebrity Boxing? The other two actors that are with him are the stars of the two most highly critically acclaimed shows of the last few years.
if you're at the top and in demand then when do you have time to do weeks (months) of theatre? How is it after appearing in all this high profile stuff the best the guys career can do is to get him in a revival production of GGGR? Sometimes actors will do this stuff because their career is in a funk and helps them to be seen in a different light. Maybe not D, maybe C list but he's certainly no A or B lister.
Robert Downey Jr is about to be on Broadway. You wouldn't consider him A-list? And he doesn't need to do it to add 'acting legitimacy', recently won an Oscar and has several nominations.

IanCurtis

Forum Clout
So then why are you acting like it's on the same level of Celebrity Boxing? The other two actors that are with him are the stars of the two most highly critically acclaimed shows of the last few years.

Robert Downey Jr is about to be on Broadway. You wouldn't consider him A-list? And he doesn't need to do it to add 'acting legitimacy', recently won an Oscar and has several nominations.

No.

I said Burr's D-list. He is. He isn't a highly respected actor - he's a comedian who acts on the side. We can quibble about the rating I gave him but that's it - he's a comedian who acts on the side. You might think he's the bees knees but clearly the film/TV industry isn't giving him lead roles in A-list productions - he's getting support roles. What do you do when all you get is supports - you broaden your resume - often by doing theatre, this is how this industry works.

Robert Downey has been acting since the 80s, all sorts of ups and downs. He is not a comedian who 'acts on the side'. He's a legitimate actor who's worked theatre, film and TV across a 30 plus year career - he can do and go wherever he wants. You're comparing apples and oranges. He's not doing Broadway to get legitimacy - but he may well have when his career crashed and burned in the late eighties - its just something actors do. It's literally a normal part of careers in the entertainment industry ie doing theatre to get credibility/legitimacy and broaden your base of offers. And its most often done by people who are not A-list. E.g. Madonna who originated the lead in Mamet's Speed the Plow in the eighties - she was a highly successful pop star who did a broadway play to gain credibility as an actor.

BonnieMcFarlaneMe2

Forum Clout
No.

I said Burr's D-list. He is. He isn't a highly respected actor - he's a comedian who acts on the side. We can quibble about the rating I gave him but that's it - he's a comedian who acts on the side. You might think he's the bees knees but clearly the film/TV industry isn't giving him lead roles in A-list productions - he's getting support roles. What do you do when all you get is supports - you broaden your resume - often by doing theatre, this is how this industry works.

Robert Downey has been acting since the 80s, all sorts of ups and downs. He is not a comedian who 'acts on the side'. He's a legitimate actor who's worked theatre, film and TV across a 30 plus year career - he can do and go wherever he wants. You're comparing apples and oranges. He's not doing Broadway to get legitimacy - but he may well have when his career crashed and burned in the late eighties - its just something actors do. It's literally a normal part of careers in the entertainment industry ie doing theatre to get credibility/legitimacy and broaden your base of offers. And its most often done by people who are not A-list. E.g. Madonna who originated the lead in Mamet's Speed the Plow in the eighties - she was a highly successful pop star who did a broadway play to gain credibility as an actor.
Wasn’t Madonna arguably the biggest star in the entire world during the 80’s?

IanCurtis

Forum Clout
Wasn’t Madonna arguably the biggest star in the 80’s?

Yeah, the other being Michael Jackson - the king and queen of pop - I'd guess they were about equal (though Jackson fans would say otherwise - as did Jackson himself after the pedo allegations came up and his career went wonky). It was a big deal when she did the play, she got negative tabloid reviews (which is what everyone remembers) but she got legit reviews that said she had talent but needed to work at her performing skills (which was a reasonable call for someone doing comedic/dramatic theatre for the first time).

Forum Clout
I'm guessing he's going to play Moss. Kieran Culkin as Roma (?), not unfeasible after Succession. Odenkirk obviously Levine.
Nailed it. I saw a report that had Burr as Moss and Odenkirk as Shelley Levine. Moss is a punching bag in one of the biggest scenes. It'd be funny seeing Burr get dressed down by whoever plays the Alec Baldwin role. "My wife is a 20 year old white supermodel. What color is your wife?"