• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

What's the most realistic American sitcom?

TheGhostOfAbeVigoda

The Backbone of America
Forum Clout
Roseanne captured the struggling white trash experience pretty well until it got stupid with the wacky lottery winner plot. Grace Under Fire too
I find it hilarious that Grace Under Fire ended because Brett Butler couldn't stop being such a fucked up wreck. The one 12 year old kid's mom pulled him off the show because Brett The Hitman Butler flashed her tits to him.

Forum Clout
All in the Family
I watched a handful of old "All In The Family" and "MASH" episodes recently, and it's pretty amazing how radically things have changed since then. The early episodes of "MASH" featured a black character named Spearchucker, and Hawkeye was basically a sex-crazed date rapist with a serious drinking problem. And Archie Bunker was the stuff of legend. Hearing him tossing around "fag", "hebe", "coloreds", "Polack" and etc. is as funny now as it was then.

Mr. Faggotry

The world’s expert on faggotry
Forum Clout
IMG_1416.jpeg

wbgreen

May St. Mel bless you
Forum Clout
I watched a handful of old "All In The Family" and "MASH" episodes recently, and it's pretty amazing how radically things have changed since then. The early episodes of "MASH" featured a black character named Spearchucker, and Hawkeye was basically a sex-crazed date rapist with a serious drinking problem. And Archie Bunker was the stuff of legend. Hearing him tossing around "fag", "hebe", "coloreds", "Polack" and etc. is as funny now as it was then.

The early episodes of M*A*S*H were often taken from the book. Book even had a Spearchucker character. The author was a surgeon in the Korean War and was depicting a fraternity but in the army. He ended up hating the show for becoming an anti-war sobfest because he didn't agree with those politics.

Jack_Horner

Forum Clout
The Brady Bunch: a show about a closeted homosexual who marries a beard and adopts her kids so that he can stay firmly in the closet.

"
Reed and fellow Northwestern student Marilyn Rosenberger married in July 1954.[34] They had a daughter, Karen Rietz, before divorcing in 1959.[35][36]

Reed kept the fact that he was actually gay a close secret, since public knowledge of his true sexual orientation during that era would likely have damaged his career.[37][38]

Several years after his death, Reed's Brady Bunch co-stars – notably Barry Williams and Florence Henderson – publicly acknowledged Reed's sexual orientation, and revealed that the entire cast and crew of The Brady Bunch were aware of it.

Henderson spoke of Reed being in the closet during a 2000 interview with ABC News: "Here he was, the perfect father of this wonderful little family, a perfect husband. Off camera, he was an unhappy person – I think had Bob not been forced to live this double life, I think it would have dissipated a lot of that anger and frustration. I never asked him. I never challenged him. I had a lot of compassion for him because I knew how he was suffering with keeping this secret."[37]

Regarding Reed's unwillingness to discuss his sexuality, even off-camera and in private, Williams told ABC News during an interview in 2000 that "Robert didn't want to go there. I don't think he talked about it with anyone. I just don't think it was open for discussion–period. Had it ever come out that Robert Reed was gay, it probably would have caused the demise of the show. I think it would have hurt his career tremendously."[37]

Death[edit]​

In November 1991, Reed was diagnosed with colon lymphoma, a rare form of colon cancer.[39][40][41] When he became ill, he only allowed his daughter Karen and actress Anne Haney, a close friend, to visit him.[35][39] Haney later said of Reed, "He came from the old school, where people had a sense of decorum. He went the way he wanted to, without publicity."[35] Weeks before his death, Reed called Henderson and asked her to inform the rest of The Brady Bunch cast that he was terminally ill.[23] He died on May 12, 1992, at Huntington Memorial Hospital in Pasadena, California, at age 59.[7]

Initially, Reed's death was solely attributed to cancer, but details which were written on his death certificate were later made public, revealing that Reed was also HIV-positive.[42] The actor had been diagnosed with HIV in the spring of 1991.[40] It remains unknown when Reed contracted HIV because he kept his medical condition and private life a secret from the public until his death, telling only a few close friends"

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
Forum Clout
Roseanne captured the struggling white trash experience pretty well until it got stupid with the wacky lottery winner plot. Grace Under Fire too
That’s what made the show great, plus her and her husband were fat which wasn’t something you saw on TV. Usually the fat guy at least has a thin wife. I remember one joke about one of the kids going to the cabinet to get stuff for the food drive and Roseanne told him to get them send them food.