• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

"The Lumumba Effect" - When one experiences the moment of clarity that Opie was never as bad as you recalled

THE D

SUFFERING FROM DMANIA, PRONE TO DMANIC EPISODES
Forum Clout
I relisten to shows most days (age old radio is a better filler than podcasts) and I have to say the only bad thing opie ever brought to the show was shitty callers.

Phones are always a crapshoot. Opie, being a true FM host... Anthony and Norton the layabouts just showed up, went with the flow, they had no habits to break. Opie's mind was always in FM mode: "Anyone can be listening/calling right now... So let's find some GOLD"

The DMAN doesn't care what anyone says... In their prime, nobody went sniffing for blood like sharks in the water the way O&A did by going to the phones... Be it a teenage fangirl, a little kid, an elderly woman, or one of their own friends.. Someone calls in with some nonsense, and they take their beating. For the better pleasure of the group.

Towards the end, only truckers and autistic men called up. That is what Anthony and Norton's antics run rampant attracted... Un-Fuckable hate nerds, as coined by Marc Maron. You had some rare nuggets from calls, but Opie's habit that once introduced random side quests brilliantly had become boring filler due to Anthony and Norton trying to change the show and make Opie obsolete.

Forum Clout
Towards the end, only truckers and autistic men called up. That is what Anthony and Norton's antics run rampant attracted... Un-Fuckable hate nerds, as coined by Marc Maron. You had some rare nuggets from calls, but Opie's habit that once introduced random side quests brilliantly had become boring filler due to Anthony and Norton trying to change the show and make Opie obsolete.
Not being on terrestrial also doesn't help. I can only imagine how autistic the callers were on average the first year they were on XM when they had barely anybody listening compared to WNEW.

LingerLonger

Still spreading the O&A virus
Forum Clout
Not being on terrestrial also doesn't help. I can only imagine how autistic the callers were on average the first year they were on XM when they had barely anybody listening compared to WNEW.
They had the top show on XM first week. They were told by XM to take callers that said stuff like "I bought an XM for my car" or "I love the other XM channels like music and baseball" or whatever. Howard got the same order from Sirius. With obvious planted callers like "my entire fleet of 100 trucks have Sirius radios in them" or "we play Sirius at my diner in the morning for hundreds of customers they all love the show".

First years of both shows are littered with obvious corporate shills getting on air just to praise the company for some soundbite that an executive can play at the next board meeting. "Yo Howard, for Christmas I bought my entire family Sirius radios, all fifteen of my kids". Some of the callers were clearly some XM or Sirius office workers doing a fake call. Now these are the only types of calls that Howard takes.

Sue Lightning

<-- Never heard of Spankbang
Forum Clout
Phones are always a crapshoot. Opie, being a true FM host... Anthony and Norton the layabouts just showed up, went with the flow, they had no habits to break. Opie's mind was always in FM mode: "Anyone can be listening/calling right now... So let's find some GOLD"

The DMAN doesn't care what anyone says... In their prime, nobody went sniffing for blood like sharks in the water the way O&A did by going to the phones... Be it a teenage fangirl, a little kid, an elderly woman, or one of their own friends.. Someone calls in with some nonsense, and they take their beating. For the better pleasure of the group.

Heres what the Dopie Opie haters don’t understand. If Opie went to the phones for an absolute DUD caller, it would stop the show for a couple second and everyone could get right back into it. Even betta, the boys could riff on how much of a dud said caller was. But when they got a good caller? A simple call turns into a 40 minute bit or a phone segment.

Now, lets look at the “genius, hilarious, quick witted” Norton and Cumia. If they went for a joke the worst it would do is bomb. They could make fun of the bomb. But what happens if they tell a REALLY good joke? Oh yeah, one of them hyucks at the others punchline over the top for a minute straight.

Nothing provided to the show. No creation of a bit. No segments. Just indulging each other with stupid shitty jokes.

That is why Opie will always be the “ship steerer”. What he did , if it ended up working, transformed entire DAYS of the show and it’s content. He wasn’t interested in how big a “AHAHAHA HOLEEE SHIT” he could get from his cohost just to satisfy his ego.

THE D

SUFFERING FROM DMANIA, PRONE TO DMANIC EPISODES
Forum Clout
But what happens if they tell a REALLY good joke? Oh yeah, one of them hyucks at the others punchline over the top for a minute straight.

Nothing provided to the show. No creation of a bit. No segments. Just indulging each other with stupid shitty jokes.

But but the youtube comments say that they get so much joy from listening to Anthony and Jimmy laugh together. :^) It's the shock jock version of clapter.

He wasn’t interested in how big a “AHAHAHA HOLEEE SHIT” he could get from his cohost just to satisfy his ego.

Well, Opie only did that sometimes -- Which resulted in iconic, legendary bits that still go viral to this day like the Cake Stomp and Poker Chips.

Sue Lightning

<-- Never heard of Spankbang
Forum Clout
Well, Opie only did that sometimes -- Which resulted in iconic, legendary bits that still go viral to this day like the Cake Stomp and Poker Chips.
Exactly - But the Opster tried to do this through BITS. Not stupid little puns or dinging of bells. Everyone remembers cake stomp. How many people can say what the punchline is to one of Ants stupid jokes. Make a mudslide? Yeah thats the same thing as throwing poker chips.

Forum Clout

Exactly - But the Opster tried to do this through BITS. Not stupid little puns or dinging of bells. Everyone remembers cake stomp. How many people can say what the punchline is to one of Ants stupid jokes. Make a mudslide? Yeah thats the same thing as throwing poker chips.
Autists like us remember every joke. But lasting power? Opie still goes viral over cakestomp, Sandy Kanes guitar. Doing it since he was 18...

Forum Clout
I think they all had their own positives and negatives. When it comes to Opie he wasn't the funniest dude in the room but for the general public he was the most relatable and as others have pointed out he had the best mind for when to just move along.

Those Nopie shows on YouTube tend to have topics that go on for much too long because neither Ant or Jimmy don't know how to move along.

Cygnus Nana X-1

Forum Clout
He was required to take callers, that’s his job as a radio host. Without them it’s just a podcast. Also Ronnie B was way worse about callers. He would have the same handful of people call in and stay on the line for long periods of time just to laugh at his jokes. At least Opie kept it moving.
Ron is one of the worst hosts. I never understood why he had so much respect. He OD'd his daughter but pretended it didn't happen.

Jack_Horner

Forum Clout
I think they all had their own positives and negatives. When it comes to Opie he wasn't the funniest dude in the room but for the general public he was the most relatable and as others have pointed out he had the best mind for when to just move along.

Those Nopie shows on YouTube tend to have topics that go on for much too long because neither Ant or Jimmy don't know how to move along.

Today I listened to some old Opie and Anthony clips because I had my fam in the car, and I thought the kids might dig it.

It was kinda shocking how fast the show moved. I completely forgot about that.

And of course, it was Opie that was keeping the show moving.

Something I noticed on the Gavin McInnes Show is that he's one of the very few podcasters who actually seems to plan ahead and is conscious about how long the show is running. I don't think many hosts have the kind of discipline it takes to keep the show moving; they need someone like Opie who's basically keeping everyone focused on specific topics and preventing the segments from meandering all over the place.

TheGhostOfBernellTrammell

Getting my rocks off. Emptying my boulders.
Forum Clout
Heres what the Dopie Opie haters don’t understand. If Opie went to the phones for an absolute DUD caller, it would stop the show for a couple second and everyone could get right back into it. Even betta, the boys could riff on how much of a dud said caller was. But when they got a good caller? A simple call turns into a 40 minute bit or a phone segment.

Now, lets look at the “genius, hilarious, quick witted” Norton and Cumia. If they went for a joke the worst it would do is bomb. They could make fun of the bomb. But what happens if they tell a REALLY good joke? Oh yeah, one of them hyucks at the others punchline over the top for a minute straight.

That is why Opie will always be the “ship steerer”. What he did , if it ended up working, transformed entire DAYS of the show and it’s content. He wasn’t interested in how big a “AHAHAHA HOLEEE SHIT” he could get from his cohost just to satisfy his ego.
The episode with patrice where they do the bit about rare animal food, cheetah heels, tiger taint, whale blowhole, that's a perfect example of a great interactive call in episode.