• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Have People Not Realized That Everything Entertainment Related Is A Fucking Parody of What Was Once Entertaining?

DanFielding

Forum Clout
But it's also Gen Xer's as well. With so many options for entertainment or otherwise, I'm just shocked that what should be a parody/satire and rightfully mocked, actually makes money and people put physical energy into setting it up and attending the shit show. It's on par with paying to see bumgights or paying Ali G or Borat to troll you on purpose.
They don’t care about any of that. They’re genuinely fans of Limp Bizkit and want to see them again.

Forum Clout
Boomers who absolutely refuse to try anything new and just enjoy reliving old shit from the time of their lives they weren't arthritic. Maybe the problem is we're too ADHD, but I swear boomers in particular have a predilection for just intaking the same shit over and over and over.
Boomers are retarded and retarded people hate trying new things (don't ask me why I know this).
You realize in the olden days people used to pay big money to watch a man whose entire performance was walking around in very large shoes, right? Entertainment has always been ironic.
Maybe they wanted to worship his feet.

AwfulManTitTankTop

"AnTi-swaTTing laws"
Forum Clout
I saw bizkit when they came through for their last club tour and they were fawkin awesome. I didn't bother with loserville because I didn't wanna spend $100 to see them in an amphitheater that lacks the intimacy I got at their last gig here. Plus with 8 acts on the bill they'll just cruise through a boilerplate set with nothing rare or exciting.

I'm saying there are shit heads like me who actually love their music and will go.

HipTuckerCumia

hard drive full of CP media
Forum Clout
Have People Not Realized That Everything Entertainment Related Is A Fucking Parody of What Was Once Entertaining?

I think because everything has five layers of irony, the audience feels like they're in on the joke, despite the amount of money they're paying. But even more "serious" bands like Motley Crue can somehow attract a crowd, so I really don't have an answer. It really does come off as robotic programming or something. "Hey, I remember this from 20+ years ago, therefore, I am required to give it my money/time/attention."
So, according to Frederic Jameson 'it' is not parody, even if 'it' is wrapped in multiple layers or irony, but pastiche. The left cultural critics predicted this turn towards pastiche, ahistorical revivalism and endless recycling of hollowed out imagery some 40 years ago, claiming that this is the logical end state of capitalist consumer culture.

In the neo-liberal era political movements, for example, can also be seen more as symbolical re-enactments (like a new band using a retro style sound and imagery) or zombie versions (like these bands whose cultural moment was decades ago refusing to die) of old protest movements from a previous era than real movements with current messages.

Stent

Ancyent Marinere
Forum Clout
Wes Borland is the shit. I'm 100% positive I would have a good time at a current day Limp Bizkit show. I'd also love to see Corey Feldman embarrass himself in person.
The old guy who lives next door to you told me he sees you dancing by yourself to Limp Bizkit. He also said he watches you fearfully grab your food deliveries from behind the door.

TheGhostOfAbeVigoda

The Backbone of America
Forum Clout
The old guy who lives next door to you told me he sees you dancing by yourself to Limp Bizkit. He also said he watches you fearfully grab your food deliveries from behind the door.
I'm not afraid of the delivery people, I just don't want to talk to them under any circumstance and I feel like if they try to interact with me I should be allowed to wing them with rock salt or something.

Stent

Ancyent Marinere
Forum Clout
I'm not afraid of the delivery people, I just don't want to talk to them under any circumstance and I feel like if they try to interact with me I should be allowed to wing them with rock salt or something.
He said you'd say that. He also said he dresses up like an indian, puts food bags on your doorstep, then lingers after knocking several times.

Sue Lightning

<-- Never heard of Spankbang
Forum Clout
This is basically zoomer (and young millennial) bullshit. Zoomers have championed irony, and usually you just saw it isolated online, but now its coming into the real world. Hordes of Tiktok famous alt people going to “Losercon” to “ironically” see Corey Feldman or Limp Bizkit.

Chive Turkey

Erock Army Deserter
Forum Clout
To be honest, I think this is more Durst owning the reality of where the band is at and the bands fans getting it - not that he hasn't done that before, indeed that was the basis of the bands success from the outset - Durst emerging from an onstage toilet 25 years ago (or longer) when the band was being called 'shit', and songs like 'Nookie' lyrically calling out excess and debauchery... I mean, who TF calls their album 'Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog flavored water' if they - and their fans - are not already in on the joke. I'd go watch it to see how their hits play live, it'd be a fun night.
Today I will remind them:

But why even bother? There has to be a billion other things to do with their time and energy. Seeing a decent band? Ok. Sure. But this is a pure novelty/parody act that should be doing state fairs at best.
I mean, I don't really know who Corey Feldman is but from what I've heard he apparently makes Joe Cumia look professional and humble on stage. That might be reason enough for me to go watch him if he happened to roll into town.

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
Forum Clout
It's the curse of nostalgia, and people wanting to relive what was probably a better time for them, i.e. being younger.

Oh sure, your parents went along with the Eagles Hell Freezes Over Tour, they squealed like little girls when KISS put the paint back on, and your burnout Uncle had to buy new pants when Fleetwood Mac reunited. All in good fun then!

But you cunts had to get excited at New Kids on the Block going back on tour. Donny Wahlberg, that's right - your generation got excited about that shit. Without a sense of irony. Then it spread like a cancer to Backstreet Boys, Van Halen, Limp Bizkit, all the way to Creed.

It's an epidemic, like seeing grown men read comic books in public and groups of adults having drinking parties while playing with fucking Legos.

This is BODY SNATCHER LEVEL SHIT, PEOPLE!

528539dc76840782210f8d1abce8855a.gif

@TheGhostOfAbeVigoda, comment?

TheGhostOfAbeVigoda

The Backbone of America
Forum Clout
It's the curse of nostalgia, and people wanting to relive what was probably a better time for them, i.e. being younger.

Oh sure, your parents went along with the Eagles Hell Freezes Over Tour, they squealed like little girls when KISS put the paint back on, and your burnout Uncle had to buy new pants when Fleetwood Mac reunited. All in good fun then!

But you cunts had to get excited at New Kids on the Block going back on tour. Donny Wahlberg, that's right - your generation got excited about that shit. Without a sense of irony. Then it spread like a cancer to Backstreet Boys, Van Halen, Limp Bizkit, all the way to Creed.

It's an epidemic, like seeing grown men read comic books in public and groups of adults having drinking parties while playing with fucking Legos.

This is BODY SNATCHER LEVEL SHIT, PEOPLE!

528539dc76840782210f8d1abce8855a.gif

@TheGhostOfAbeVigoda, comment?
I have an idea to remake The Godfather with Donnie Wahlberg in the Brando role and his name is Don Wahlberg of the Wahlberg family. I still star as Sal "The Godfather" Tessio.

It was a lot funnier when I was just thinking about it.