• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Have People Not Realized That Everything Entertainment Related Is A Fucking Parody of What Was Once Entertaining?

EraGodless

Forum Clout
Maybe I'm taking crazy pills, but tours like this are a gathering of idiots and rubes? Why would any sane person spend one ounce of energy or money to attend this tour in 2024? It makes zero sense- are people under some mass hypnosis that they must consume pop culture, no matter how shitty it may be?

I can't imagine the reason why people would physically pay money- and sit through this shit. Are there really not any more entertaining things to do with your time? I'd rather play with sticks and mud for a few hours than sift thru this-

Do the people paying not understand the downright cynism and contempt these aging goofs have for their fans?

Forum Clout
I think because everything has five layers of irony, the audience feels like they're in on the joke, despite the amount of money they're paying. But even more "serious" bands like Motley Crue can somehow attract a crowd, so I really don't have an answer. It really does come off as robotic programming or something. "Hey, I remember this from 20+ years ago, therefore, I am required to give it my money/time/attention."

EraGodless

Forum Clout
I think because everything has five layers of irony, the audience feels like they're in on the joke, despite the amount of money they're paying. But even more "serious" bands like Motley Crue can somehow attract a crowd, so I really don't have an answer. It really does come off as robotic programming or something. "Hey, I remember this from 20+ years ago, therefore, I am required to give it my money/time/attention."
I guess my brain isn't wired that way- It's like people are doing it for the bit- not necessarily to have a genuine good time.

Chive Turkey

Erock Army Deserter
Forum Clout
I agree with alot of your observations but I think this goofy nonsense just barely falls on the consoomer spectrum. Even if it's retarded, at least it's an event you can go to with pals and get drunk and maybe get some memorable stories out of. I don't think it quite falls into the same category as the soys who buy Funko Pops and cry at teaser trailers for comic book movies.

IanCurtis

Forum Clout
To be honest, I think this is more Durst owning the reality of where the band is at and the bands fans getting it - not that he hasn't done that before, indeed that was the basis of the bands success from the outset - Durst emerging from an onstage toilet 25 years ago (or longer) when the band was being called 'shit', and songs like 'Nookie' lyrically calling out excess and debauchery... I mean, who TF calls their album 'Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog flavored water' if they - and their fans - are not already in on the joke. I'd go watch it to see how their hits play live, it'd be a fun night.

PogromStallone

Give Me Some Money
Forum Clout
Maybe I'm taking crazy pills, but tours like this are a gathering of idiots and rubes? Why would any sane person spend one ounce of energy or money to attend this tour in 2024? It makes zero sense- are people under some mass hypnosis that they must consume pop culture, no matter how shitty it may be?

I can't imagine the reason why people would physically pay money- and sit through this shit. Are there really not any more entertaining things to do with your time? I'd rather play with sticks and mud for a few hours than sift thru this-

Do the people paying not understand the downright cynism and contempt these aging goofs have for their fans?

What is the question here? Why would fans of a band go see them live? It's called Loserville cause they know how they're seen by the general public. The fact that they added Corey Feldman to the tour should tell you that they're in on the joke (and Corey seemingly is not).

lowend73

Forum Clout
When I was in college, Sugar Ray came to play at the Student Center. The Roots were there as well, but that was a great show

Anyhow, alot of people were angry that Sugar Ray came to play. Some asshole wrote "Fuck you Mark McGrath" on his T shirt. Of course he backed down once called out on it.

My point is, these same folks in the 90s laughing at Sugar Ray would pay top dollar to see them on some stupid retro tour. Just say fuck it and add Creed to the bill as well.

I would still go see The Roots, that was a really great show

EraGodless

Forum Clout
What is the question here? Why would fans of a band go see them live? It's called Loserville cause they know how they're seen by the general public. The fact that they added Corey Feldman to the tour should tell you that they're in on the joke (and Corey seemingly is not).
But why even bother? There has to be a billion other things to do with their time and energy. Seeing a decent band? Ok. Sure. But this is a pure novelty/parody act that should be doing state fairs at best.

Single Action Army

We ain't goon hooligans we Maloonigans
Forum Clout
My speculation as to the continued audience of traditional entertainment:

- Boomers who absolutely refuse to try anything new and just enjoy reliving old shit from the time of their lives they weren't arthritic. Maybe the problem is we're too ADHD, but I swear boomers in particular have a predilection for just intaking the same shit over and over and over. Whenever my family meets my 60-year-old aunt talks about the fucking Beatles at least 2 hours every time. Then she and my parents just watch concert footage of the same songs they've been listening to for the past 50 years going "wow, they're so great!"
I keep telling my mom I can download her any show or movie she wants to watch for free but she still pays for cable.

- Niggercattle who are so mindraped by political culture they just pay any "official" or "qualified" source to spit their opinions back at them. "Wow, smart and funny guy Steven Colbert hates Trump too! Of course my side is the correct one!"

- Niggercattle who are so devoid of any real communial identity like church/family/community that they use consoom as their new culture bulwark. People who watch all the 500 star wars TV shows not because it's that interesting but just so they can impress all their superficial faux-geek friends with worthless factoids.

- Bottomfeeders who are so fucking retarded they never think about anything beyond "this is popular, we should engage in it." The 60 IQ frat bros and instagram whores who go to music festival just to fuck or take pictures.

Of course I'm a bitter little chuddy like anyone on OnA forums, but I'll maintain the tired and unoriginal opinion that anything massively popular is inherently shitty. The only media I really enjoy nowadays is the lower-middle market stuff that feels like the people producing it actually wanted to make something. Anything I watch nowadays was produced before 2010 or is on some 5-digit subscription Youtube channel.

EraGodless

Forum Clout
It’s nostalgia and every generation has their own version of it. In this case it’s millennials wanting to hark back to the 90s.
But it's also Gen Xer's as well. With so many options for entertainment or otherwise, I'm just shocked that what should be a parody/satire and rightfully mocked, actually makes money and people put physical energy into setting it up and attending the shit show. It's on par with paying to see bumgights or paying Ali G or Borat to troll you on purpose.

Mass.gov

Cursed Demons
Forum Clout

When Taylor Swift got huge again, it was definitely proven to be the case.

lowend73

Forum Clout
But it's also Gen Xer's as well. With so many options for entertainment or otherwise, I'm just shocked that what should be a parody/satire and rightfully mocked, actually makes money and people put physical energy into setting it up and attending the shit show. It's on par with paying to see bumgights or paying Ali G or Borat to troll you on purpose.
This is it . Pretty sure the crowds at these things are more Gen Xer's than any other generation. We (Gen X) are suckers for shit like this. But hey, if people want to spend their money and are entertained, all the more power to them.

Bro Joe could have gotten a job as a guitar tech for some touring band. All his time playing live, he had to have networked some?