• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

So wait, comedians had to wait before they were allowed to enter the studio and be on the show?

CorradoSoprano4

Forum Clout
I was listening to an old clip and Opie mentioned that Patrice had been waiting for a long time to be on the show outside of the studio and told the staff to go get them. I recall this being a thing on multiple occasions that the comedians who did the show for free had to wait outside of the studio before Opie decided when was the appropriate time to have them on the show.

Am I tripping or is this some idiot power play Opie used to play on people he knew were going to be more funny than him? Imagine waking up at 5am so you can just wait until the insecure radio host tells you it's okay to be part of the show.

Maybe I'm autistic and am looking for things that aren't there but it definitely seemed the case that comedians had to wait till Opie decided for them to enter the studio.

LingerLonger

Still spreading the O&A virus
Forum Clout
The comedians had to wait until the break was over because they didn't want them walking in during something that shouldn't have been interrupted. Literally every single show does this. You think a comedian can just walk out from their green room and start talking over Letterman or whoever? Or someone can just walk into the studio with Stern when he's talking about something and get on mic?

The comedians were too comfortable thinking that they somehow ran the show. They had to wait until it was a new segment to get them in. Notice how almost every compilation of comedian appearances begins with a fresh segment right from break? They didn't want Vos walking in during a serious interview with someone. Or Patrice talking over a guest during their segment.

These comedians were all a bunch of whining faggots. The cellar crew were the most thin skinned pussies in the entertainment world. Even Tom Cruise or the Rolling Stones wait for the hosts to introduce him when they go on talk shows. But Vos and Patrice thought that they could just show up whenever and immediately get on air as if they were bigger than O&A and didn't owe their entire audience and careers to O&A instead.

SoloJoeAcousticShow

Ain't it fun?
Forum Clout
Yeah, comics having to wait was such a permeating issue, that it was a driving force for Opie and Jim's first big on-air fight:

I gotta hand it to ole bridge burning Hughes for calling out Sean Rouse being boring and making for "mediocre radio". Overrated dead hack.

Jimmy losing his temper is insane, obviously never got into a physical altrecation in his whole wormy life. I want to punch him.

LingerLonger

Still spreading the O&A virus
Forum Clout
Yea. They used to do this to Richard Jeni a lot and he killed himself a week later.
Not quite. Richard Jeni basically bombarded their show and their station to get on to plug his gigs. Calling like a maniac. Jeni was a known paranoid schizophrenic and totally unhinged so he did this to everyone. They would put him on the air and hang up or do the silent game and so on. Finally O&A had him come into the green room of WNEW and wait there until he was called in. Only they never called him in and just made him wait. And wait. And wait. So finally he spoke to a producer to ask what the hell was going on, and the producer said "let me talk to O&A" to buy even more time.

Finally O&A tell a producer, to tell Jeni to call into the show from the green room, to audition before being allowed into the real studio. And he had already been sitting there for a few breaks. And then they finally made him talk through the glass wall outside of the studio. Calling it a "prison visit" which was often referenced on the show. But this was during WNEW. Jeni didn't kill himself until 2007 which was a few years later after O&A had taken it much easier on him.

Last edited:

HeyItsVos

Forum Clout
Just to add on to what everyone else has already said, it’s a logistical issue too. They have to make sure there is a mic turned on and ready for them, headphones set up, etc.

It’s the kind of thing the audience takes for granted, but it’s why guys like Sam were running around in the studio. How many times did Patrice just start talking as he walked into the room and Opie had to tell him to get to the mic? The comedians treated it like they were just having a casual conversation, but that doesn’t translate over to broadcasting seamlessly.

G

Jim is a fiercely loyal guy, especially to comics.

He's also a fiercely funny guy. Check this shit out.

jim.jpg

See fentanyl is not approved for gardening. That's a fiercely facetious comment.

6 tour dates from May through July this year.

Zeroman

Potential R* Screenshotter
Forum Clout
Jim is a fiercely loyal guy, especially to comics.

He's also a fiercely funny guy. Check this shit out.

View attachment 123564
See fentanyl is not approved for gardening. That's a fiercely facetious comment.

6 tour dates from May through July this year.
Nice missing the entire venue name in your idiotic post about absolute shit, stupid.