• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

He KNOCKED out his outfit!!! AaaaaahhhaaaahaaaHHHAAAAAA!!!

LockedHDD__Pot

Forum Clout
Nana fans seethe that the “funniest fucking guy in radio” was just a hooting and hollering punchline repeating laugh track robot
it's hard to disagree when we listen back, but there was a time when he was funny, right?
we've dissected his 'haha ho-lee-shit'ing to the point that it's hard to ignore, but there was a point where it was a great show, right? It brought you here & you're not a stupid guy... I wonder when it changed (& most of us didn't notice).

there was definitely something cool at some time, modern successful comics still talk about O&A on JRE, so we can't all be wrong

Turk February

Our experiences exceed yours.
Forum Clout
it's hard to disagree when we listen back, but there was a time when he was funny, right?
we've dissected his 'haha ho-lee-shit'ing to the point that it's hard to ignore, but there was a point where it was a great show, right? It brought you here & you're not a stupid guy... I wonder when it changed (& most of us didn't notice).

there was definitely something cool at some time, modern successful comics still talk about O&A on JRE, so we can't all be wrong
The problem with shock comedy is you can't really be surprised by the same thing twice. It's the same reason horror movies age horribly and quickly. Anthony and Jim were hilarious because they were fast and often unpredictable. It was meant to be a disposable daily show, with occasional best ofs. It was never meant to be lasting doctrine for a mentally ill cyber terrorist drug cult, it just kind of happened that way.

LingerLonger

Still spreading the O&A virus
Forum Clout
The problem with shock comedy is you can't really be surprised by the same thing twice. It's the same reason horror movies age horribly and quickly. Anthony and Jim were hilarious because they were fast and often unpredictable.
The stuff that you can listen to over and over again is the stuff that Opie produced. Jocktober, song parodies, listener bits, the roasts of old material (usually featuring callers), comics telling stories and goofing on each other, free for all interviews with guests. The worst stuff are the 'shock jock' moments that lose their shock value literally seconds after airing. Or any Norton driven interview outside of Roy Den Hollander's meltdown or the Ozzy coffee table books.
It was meant to be a disposable daily show, with occasional best ofs. It was never meant to be lasting doctrine for a mentally ill cyber terrorist drug cult, it just kind of happened that way.
I disagree. My name is literally about how listening to every single show would get you the most enjoyment. How these guys would drop references to other bits or old movies or shows and it would take years for you to realize what they were talking about. In order to 'get' the show you had to intently listen and dedicate time to watching movies and shows and whatever was mentioned on the show.

How many times would they just randomly mention stuff like "four rights make a left" or "Chester's liver" or "she spilled my coffee" without giving an explanation?
Anthony was never funny without Opie. Jim was never funny without someone like Opie or Colin holding his hand the entire time. Even most of the comics on O&A were terrible outside of O&A. Artie Lange did nothing worthwhile outside of Stern (and maybe Nick and Artie, which was all Nick in hindsight).

These guys do not understand how to produce anything quality on their own. Without Opie you get the Chip Podcast and Live from the Compound out of your Carolina basement. Rogan likes to pretend like his show is this small independent entity. But he has a giant team of producers and Spotify flunkies working full time for him to make things professional and promote his show.

It's still the greatest radio show and podcast of all time. And will probably never be surpassed. But it was five hours a day of live content. Impossible to make everyone laugh nonstop that long. It takes the average good standup comic three years to get one hour of material. O&A had to provide 20-25 hours of material every single week for nearly two decades. One week of O&A shows is more than almost any comic will do on stage in their entire careers.

Riccardo Bosi

has janny powers
Forum Clout
It's still the greatest radio show and podcast of all time. And will probably never be surpassed. But it was five hours a day of live content. Impossible to make everyone laugh nonstop that long. It takes the average good standup comic three years to get one hour of material. O&A had to provide 20-25 hours of material every single week for nearly two decades. One week of O&A shows is more than almost any comic will do on stage in their entire careers.
I told a friend of mine that O&A was one of the best shows of any genre ever. The caveat is, you have to be in on the joke for 90%+ of it, meaning you "have to do the homework" to get the most enjoyment out of it. There are some bits he instantly loved that require no context, like Nigga vs. Nazi and Dice vs. Shane McMahon.

I'm going through 2010 right now (up to August 20) and I'd much rather have that in my head all day long as opposed to 99% of whatever I like on Youtube.

Mustard

needs your approval
Forum Clout
It's easy for me to detach myself from most of it, I still mostly enjoy re-listening to the old clips without getting all that annoyed although ironic moments always pop up that take you out of it, I can't think of any clear examples but you know what I mean.

What I have trouble with and can't stand is noticing from where Jim copies something, always from his friends, and once you see it you can't unsee it. It could be anything from Otto's style/cadence of bitter ranting that he clearly ripped off to very subtle things like the way Colin speaks in certain moments to the way Craig Robinson talks through his own laughing (which Jimmy did all the time), Jimmy is an incredible sponge and a lunatic.

Last edited:
Forum Clout
Entire post was very good and you're right about this too, I think people delude themselves into going "O&A was never good" because of how retarded the 3 hosts are now. No, it was good, it just self destructed. Even the worst O&A episode is better than anything on the radio or any podcast now. I've been listening to Stern recently and even the best Stern era (1994ish, around the OJ trial) doesn't compare to O&A. It's just okay. I can still listen to old O&A clips over and over. The only "so-so" era of O&A for me is the Free FM K-Rock era, but even then it's fine. Before that and after that I like the most.

Everything went to shit in the past 10 years and O&A was one of the first casualties of that. It's just unfortunate, and while Anthony is to blame for a good part of it, it's not entirely on him. I bet if he had his infamous rant even just 4 years prior, it would have been a suspension at best, not a firing. The country changed so fast socially and absolutely not for the better. Nobody seems to like talking about the suicide rate being the highest on record, that's not all economic-related. People aren't happy having to walk on constant eggshells for people who want children to get sex changes. Look at Stern, he's the #1 example of somebody doing a 180 with their personality because of the shit that came about last decade. Literally everybody had to neuter themselves metaphorically for people that do it literally.

Call me a faggot for getting emotional about it, but it is very depressing. Nobody *has* to do this. Propaganda only works in a free society if you allow it to, and people have willingly allowed it to on both sides. People are just generally crazy now. Anthony wouldn't be like this if social media didn't exist. A lot of people would still be normal without the internet.

Last edited:

Mr. Faggotry

The world’s expert on faggotry
Forum Clout
The hate ratio between Cumia/Opie is getting out of wack and most of you are losing the plot. Cumia puts his guests over by laughing too much? What about Opie reading InstantFeedback lines as his own and then throwing the author under the bus when it bombs? The Greggshells behavior is far worse than supporting your comedian friends with a “HA HA HA HOLYSHIT!!!”